- Announcing a publication!
- Now on the Media History Digital Library: several of my film magazines
- I act, therefore IAM: Italia Almirante Manzini in Notte di tempesta (1916)
- Lina Cavalieri in Sposa nella morte! | The Shadow of Her Past (IT 1915)
- Diva ‘December’ returns – Fabienne Fabrèges in Signori giurati … (1916)
- Diva December delayed!
- More question marks in Italian film advertising of the teens
- Varieté at the NZIFF: An interview with composer Johannes Contag
Films by year
Films by place
Tag Archives: my kind of comedy
One Week of 1920 is one of my favourite Buster Keaton shorts; it’s the one I show to friends as a gateway drug to silent cinema. Keaton’s first foray into solo film-making, it shows him at the height of his powers … Continue reading
I recently rewatched one of the greatest of early films, Mary Jane’s Mishap, or Don’t Fool with Paraffin (Here Lies Mary Jane Who Lighted the Fire with Paraffin). It was directed by George Albert Smith, noted as the inventor of … Continue reading
The end of the FIFA World Cup and Germany emerged victorious, as many predicted. What a tournament it was, though: apart from the games themselves and the high scorecount, we had the return of Chewy Luis, comedic pratfalls (then less so), meme-worthy goalkeeping, Arjen Robben’s extended … Continue reading