- Announcing a publication!
- Now on the Media History Digital Library: several of my film magazines
- I act, therefore IAM: Italia Almirante Manzini in Notte di tempesta (1916)
- Lina Cavalieri in Sposa nella morte! | The Shadow of Her Past (IT 1915)
- Diva ‘December’ returns – Fabienne Fabrèges in Signori giurati … (1916)
- Diva December delayed!
- More question marks in Italian film advertising of the teens
- Varieté at the NZIFF: An interview with composer Johannes Contag
Films by year
Films by place
Tag Archives: year in review
To round out 2015, here’s some instruction on the dance sensation that’s sweeping the nation. Of 87 years ago, that is. From Fox News of 1928, here’s the sugar foot strut! Louis Armstrong would record “Sugar Foot Strut” the same year, but … Continue reading
With but two days left in 2015, it’s time to take stock of the year. Here are a bunch of my thoughts, and a prizegiving of sorts! Writing about film This year, I continued to look closely at the 1910s Italian … Continue reading
As part 1 of my end-of-year wrap up, here are 10 memorable talking pictures that came into my life in 2015. I’ve split the list between recent and older films. Morgiana (dir. Juraj Herz, CZ 1972) Actually, I don’t know if … Continue reading
Today marks Silents, Please!’s first birthday. A year to the day after my initial post, I’ve published a total of 59 posts, featured hundreds of images, and written over 80K (!) words, enough for a novel. Wow! It seems like a … Continue reading