- Announcing a publication!
- Now on the Media History Digital Library: several of my film magazines
- I act, therefore IAM: Italia Almirante Manzini in Notte di tempesta (1916)
- Lina Cavalieri in Sposa nella morte! | The Shadow of Her Past (IT 1915)
- Diva ‘December’ returns – Fabienne Fabrèges in Signori giurati … (1916)
- Diva December delayed!
- More question marks in Italian film advertising of the teens
- Varieté at the NZIFF: An interview with composer Johannes Contag
Films by year
Films by place
Tag Archives: experimental films
A quick despatch from Italy! It seems that silent cinema finds me wherever I am: I’m currently staying in Modena, Italy, and what should be taking place but an open-air cine-concerto. Therefore, last night I attended the event Anemic Cinema, … Continue reading
As part 1 of my end-of-year wrap up, here are 10 memorable talking pictures that came into my life in 2015. I’ve split the list between recent and older films. Morgiana (dir. Juraj Herz, CZ 1972) Actually, I don’t know if … Continue reading
It is September the first, so spring has officially sprung! (In the southern hemisphere, at least). Therefore, it’s the perfect time to take a look at the Ukrainian film Навесні (Navesni); known in English as In Spring, and also known by its Russian title Весной … Continue reading
Recently on European Film Gateway, that goldmine of early cinema, I came across this intriguing short film: The film was directed by Marcel Fabre (Marcel Perez – currently the subject of this Kickstarter), the popular cinematic clown Robinet; he played this … Continue reading
Earlier this year, I managed to get hold of the DVD boxset Ukrainian Re-Vision (Укрїнське Німе), published by the State Film Agency of Ukraine in collaboration with the Oleksandr Dovzhenko Film Centre in Kyiv. It’s a wonderful publication: six restored … Continue reading