- Announcing a publication!
- Now on the Media History Digital Library: several of my film magazines
- I act, therefore IAM: Italia Almirante Manzini in Notte di tempesta (1916)
- Lina Cavalieri in Sposa nella morte! | The Shadow of Her Past (IT 1915)
- Diva ‘December’ returns – Fabienne Fabrèges in Signori giurati … (1916)
- Diva December delayed!
- More question marks in Italian film advertising of the teens
- Varieté at the NZIFF: An interview with composer Johannes Contag
Films by year
Films by place
Tag Archives: NFPF
To round out 2015, here’s some instruction on the dance sensation that’s sweeping the nation. Of 87 years ago, that is. From Fox News of 1928, here’s the sugar foot strut! Louis Armstrong would record “Sugar Foot Strut” the same year, but … Continue reading
“The heart-rending story of a girl who weds for wealth, and finds that a palace of love is a gilded cage” is how Essanay advertized their 1915 release The Gilded Cage. This film, preserved by the National Film Preservation Foundation (US), … Continue reading
As an art form, silent film lasted for a mere 40 years, c.1895-1935. It’s well known that the great majority of films from the silent era are now lost, whether due to destruction (either deliberate, as by many studios, or accidental, … Continue reading
Over the last couple of years, the National Film Preservation Foundation (NFPF) have put up a quite considerable number of films in the Screening Room section of their website. One thing I watched there recently is Torture de Luxe, a section from … Continue reading
Serial star Mary Fuller Another film celebrating its 100th birthday this year is one of the two extant episodes of American film serial Dolly of the Dailies: Episode 5, The Chinese Fan. The serial stars Mary Fuller as Dolly Desmond, … Continue reading